Monday, October 10, 2011

Week 1 Photo Challenge: Constructed Self Portrait

For this week's Photo Challenge of a Constructed Self Portrait, I have used Rodney Smith's photograph, "We're All in This Alone." (http://rodneysmith.com/blog/?p=73) Although the title of the photograph is a bit melancholy, I have always thought of this picture as a look towards the future, not quite yet knowing what there is to come, and I suppose that is why I chose it for this week's Photo Challenge. You can see my head peering over the wall on the left side of the man. 

I discovered Rodney Smith's photography a few quarters ago while surfing the web "randomizer" StumbleUpon.com. His work has a sense of an era long passed yet contains a timeless and alluring quality about them. I find it interesting that Smith only photographs with natural ambient light on a large-format film camera. Most of his work is in black & white, although he sometimes shoots with color. Another interesting note: Smith began his career in Photography while attending Yale for a degree in theology. Smith's clientele include Visa, Ralph Lauren, I.B.M., and The New York Times.


No comments:

Post a Comment